Today is Maker Monday and I am thrilled to introduce you to an awesome mom entrepreneur.
I had the pleasure of speaking with Julie from RubyClaire Boutique and asking her a few questions about being a mom entrepreneur.
1. What is your name and the name of your business?
We are a family business run by our parents: Norm & Kim, and four sisters: Julie, Kristin, Anna, and Lauren. (who are all married with children)
2. How many children do you have?
3. What is your shop name and what do you sell?
RubyClaire Boutique - we sell trendy clothing items for the everyday woman! We offer everything from business attire, date night, to a casual night in clothing!
4. How long have you been in business and how did you get started?
We started November 2013 as the parents were transitioning out of a women’s western wear company. The sisters and our mom stayed out late over dinner one night on a girls trip to Park City and started hashing out details of what we wanted to be, and how we wanted to look. Before we knew it, our ideas started to take shape and we were in business!
5. What would you say are the biggest challenges of being a mom entrepreneur and how have you overcome them?
By far the biggest challenge is time management. Our families are our number one priorities, and we want to make sure they feel like they are! It is so easy to get sucked into running a business, especially when it is open all hours, and you run it from home where you can never leave it. I feel like it is so important to create a schedule and make sure your business time and family time are separate - as hard as that seems sometimes!
6. What are the three things you need to be a successful mom entrepreneur?
1. A schedule
3. A good iPhone with lots of memory so you can work on the go!
7. What does a typical day look like for you?
It is different for each one of us since we are in different stages of life with our children. For me, I am up atto exercise. I try never to miss that - it is my sanity saver! Then I get my kids off to school, my preschooler off, and my baby down for her morning nap. At that point I sit at the computer and work hard for 2 hours until my preschooler comes home. Midday is spent with my little kids, and once they are both down for afternoon naps I am pounding the keyboard again for another 2 hours until the older ones come home. After school and evenings are busy with homework, chores, dinner prep, and activities. Once the kids are in bed, I’m usually back at it on the computer, but I try to leave some evenings to spend with my hubby!
8. If you could share one piece of advice with other mom entrepreneurs what would it be?
As hard as you try, you can’t do it all! And it’s okay! Tomorrow is another day, and there will always be more to do! Pace yourself, and keep your priorities straight!
9. When you are not working what do you like to do?
I love running, hiking, gardening, and spending time with my family.
10. Here at Emily & Eden we have a saying, Celebrate the Everyday! We believe that simple, everyday moments should be celebrated because they are the things that make life awesome.
Thinking about your family and business, what are three things your are celebrating today?
1. I am celebrating our good health and good fortune!
2. I am celebrating our beautiful country, and the warm weather!
3. I am celebrating 4 beautiful children, and a wonderful hubby to spend my life with!
You can read more about the whole family behind RubyClaire Boutique here.