Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Challenge of Music

Join the Challenge of Music
Blog Hop February 29th

Welcome to the Challenge of Music Blog Hop!

I saw a call from my friend Erin of the blog Treasures Found and had to sign up. My current favorite song 
is Set Fire to the Rain by Adele so I immediately signed up with that song. I thought I had plenty of time but when I started to work on my polymer clay beads for the necklace I have envisioned I realized I didn't have a ton of time or the skills to make polymer clay beads :-/ What I envisioned turned into big, brown, blobs. Not exactly the look I was going for :-/

Oh well back to the drawing board for me.

I like to think of songs as colors. I close my eyes and listen to songs in vibrant colors bursting out from the speakers. I know I am odd. This song always looks like yellow, orange, red and blue to me so those are the colors I wanted to use. I ended up making 2 pieces inspired by this song.

Anyway here is what I made and I have added the lyrics to the song in case you haven't heard it before.

Bracelet:


I made 2 etched copper hearts and joined them together with wire. I thought this symbolized the 2 hearts that can never be together, they are so close but being separated by the twisting, twirling wires, much like his lies and deceit in the song. I then wire wrapped red sea glass, I made my own copper clasp and added a tiny blue heart from Mary Harding. I felt the blue symbolized the rain and her moving on. 







Necklace:


My wonderful husband brought me home this handmade wood heart after I had a meltdown at my polymer clay beads turning to doodoo. I had told him my vision and he executed it perfectly. I added coral and wire wrapped Jade beads.


I hope you will visit the other participants. I will be hoping around all throughout the next few days when I have a few minutes free. 

Thanks for stopping by!
~Shannon


"Set Fire To The Rain"

I let it fall, my heart,
And as it fell you rose to claim it
It was dark and I was over
Until you kissed my lips and you saved me

My hands, they're strong
But my knees were far too weak
To stand in your arms
Without falling to your feet

But there's a side to you
That I never knew, never knew.
All the things you'd say
They were never true, never true,
And the games you play
You would always win, always win.

[Chorus:]
But I set fire to the rain,
Watched it pour as I touched your face,
Well, it burned while I cried
'Cause I heard it screaming out your name, your name!

When I lay with you
I could stay there
Close my eyes
Feel you here forever
You and me together
Nothing is better

'Cause there's a side to you
That I never knew, never knew,
All the things you'd say,
They were never true, never true,
And the games you play
You would always win, always win.

[Chorus:]
But I set fire to the rain,
Watched it pour as I touched your face,
Well, it burned while I cried
'Cause I heard it screaming out your name, your name!

I set fire to the rain
And I threw us into the flames
Where it felt something die
'Cause I knew that that was the last time, the last time!

Sometimes I wake up by the door,
That heart you caught must be waiting for you
Even now when we're already over
I can't help myself from looking for you.

[Chorus:]
I set fire to the rain,
Watched it pour as I touched your face,
Well, it burned while I cried
'Cause I heard it screaming out your name, your name

I set fire to the rain,
And I threw us into the flames
Where it felt something die
'Cause I knew that that was the last time, the last time, oh, ohhhh!


Erin Prais-Hintz






























































































38 comments:

Courtney Breul said...

Love Adele!

Your pieces are wonderful. I really love the bracelet. Congrats.

Unknown said...

AHHH Adele and OHHHHH your designs! What a great match!

Holly said...

Shannon, no you are so not odd...songs do certainly evoke color association! And I love how you've interpreted Adele's gorgeous song into both the necklace and bracelet - the hearts, both the wood and etched are incredible.

elisabeth said...

Love you're designs - the colors of the heart and the beads in the second necklace just dazzle!

Cece Cormier said...

Love that coral color and the bracelet is SWEET.

Amy S. said...

I love Adele - and I love your jewelry! The etched hearts are GORGEOUS!

Christine Altmiller said...

Beautiful colors and designs. A friend introduced me to Adele a few months ago. Don't know what took me so long!

Alice said...

Shannon, I chose this song too, but didn't have the beads to make it work. I love all of Adele's songs. Your pieces are beautiful and certainly represent the mood and colors of the song.

Cindy said...

Shannon, what a fantastic choice for our song inspiration..and I just love your designs and the stories behind them. I especially love the etched copper hart bracelet - what a clever design!!

Sarah Sequins said...

I love the etched hearts with the sea glass! Gorgeous. <3

-- Sarah

Lori Anderson said...

Oh my gosh, absolutely gorgeous! Those copper hearts!

Dawn Doucette said...

Beautiful designs Shannon! I love the copper hearts... how beautiful my dear!
{Hugs!}

Stephani Gorman said...

Adele is my new favorite! Your designs are beautiful!

Elysian Studios said...

Lovely, Shannon! The etched hearts in the bracelet are awesome, and you have such a great hubby for buying that wood heart for you- it is beautiful!!

EB Bead and Metal Works, LLC said...

I am going to have to check out Adele now. I don't listen to radio, so this is a great way to find new artists to listen to. And you aren't weird to say you see music in color, I think it is fantastic! I love how you captured the song in colors. Awesome job!

Cynthia said...

Such a sweet husband to bring you beads!! Mine would never do that!
Anyway, Adele is so great. I like both your creations, even if they aren't you original vision. Well done.

Shai Williams said...

I am totally in love with that bracelet. It so fits the lyrics. And you have the best husband for him to make that focal for you.

Karyn B said...

Oh, Adele, love her! I think that touch of blue in the bracelet is just perfect. Love both pieces!

SoulsFireDesigns said...

OH Shannon!!! Those are gorgeous! Your husband is so sweet! I think those pieces are just perfect for that song (which I love). Well done, dear friend!

Jenny said...

Wonderful! I like the necklace, and I like your husbands thoughtful support! But i love the bracelet. The copper hearts are great, and it looks like it would feel great to wear. It has a strong presence like Wonder Woman's gauntlets!

Marcie Abney Carroll said...

I love, love, love etched copper! (and Adele!) Beautiful pieces!

Ema Kilroy said...

Where to start...I love Adele and your etched hearts, twisted wire, blue heart are a perfect interpretation!!! Well done. And what a wonderful husband to help you out with that beautiful heart on the necklace.

indigo heart said...

i love your pieces! especially the bracelet--wow. red and copper and blue. yummy. and that heart focal is delicious. i'm so sorry you had a polymer meltdown. i don't think you lost anything with the wood heart--it's *wonderful*.

Therese's Treasures said...

Shannon,
Both of your pieces are so very pretty. They really capture the meaning of Adele's pain and confusion of the ending to a love she thought was true. Two thumb up to your hubby in coming home with that heart he is a treasure for sure.
Therese

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

What a sweet, sweet hubby! Can we introduce him to mine? LOL! Both pieces are lovely, but I really, really like the necklace. I was introduced to Adele by my youngest daughter on one of our drives home from college a couple of years ago. I didn't think I liked her at first, but man, she's an artist that just speaks to the soul. Thanks for sharing!

beautifullybrokenme said...

So beautiful Shannon! The copper hearts are spectacular, and the wooden heart from your super-sweet husband perfectly suits the Adele song. I always enjoy coming to your blog, 'cause I am in for some eye candy, and today is no exception!

:) Molly

Maneki said...

Really beautiful jewellery! I love your hearts, both the etched copper ones and the ombré clay heart. They're gorgeous!

kristibasket said...

Love Love Love those etched hearts!! Beautiful bracelet especially with that red glass!! :)

TesoriTrovati said...

Miss Shannon! Those hearts, with the swirly centers, held at bay from each other... truly I don't even know how you could make that better! I think of songs and sounds as colors too. You are not alone, in fact that makes me feel more normal! I am really smitten with those hearts and I am not a heart type of girl. And your husband made that wood heart? Put him to work! He has a knack for it! If I told my husband that a bead wasn't working he would just stare at me blankly until I released him to go watch Sports Center or some such nonsense! I love Adele. She is on constant repeat in my car. I am no expert on polymer clay either, but it you ever need any tips or want to knock heads about your experiments let me know!

Thanks so much for playing with me on this hop.
Enjoy the day!
Erin

Tanya said...

I love Adele. And I love your pieces. I have a thing for hearts and your copper ones are gorgeous. And your husband's find is amazing. Beautiful work!

steufel said...

Love Adele - love your pieces!

stacilouise said...

great pieces shannon. I really think they are perfect for that song!!!

Lola said...

Your bracelet and necklace represent your song choice beautifully! Next time I hear that song on the radio, it's those etched hearts that will be floating around in my mind. So lovely ...

Kathleen Lange Klik said...

The etched copper hearts are fantastic! I also love that your husband bought you the wooden heart focal, very sweet and makes the necklace that much more special! You can tell people that you and your husband collaborated on a design!

Wonderful interpretation of Adele's song.

Bobbie said...

The bracelet is so eyecatching, and then to read the meaning behind the separation of the hearts -- WOW! Gotta love some Adele, too!

Chelles said...

This song is my favorite by Adele and I think your jewelry really capture the song perfectly.
Looove the necklace! Kudos to your hubby on that pendant! Is he taking orders? :)

CraftyHope said...

I don't know the song, but both pieces are really beautiful. Those etched hearts are really fabulous. And, how sweet of your hubby to get the other hear for you. Did I read it right that he made it himself? You must have a sweet, talented, kind husband like me then. Lucky girl! ;)

Amy F said...

Those are both gorgeous! That is so sweet about your husband!