Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tuesday Tips


Custom mixed red colored acrylic nails with a touch of glitter


Here is the question I received last week:
Is it a fad to do one color different in a set of 10 nails? 
How do you do it so it doesn't look like you chipped one and just redid it with a different color? 

I had to smile at this question because I have been doing the "accent" nail thing since I was a kid and offering it to my clients for 11 years. So I was cool before it was cool, lol.
Anyway, to answer your questions. Is it a fad? My personal view is no. Accent nails or nail art on 1-2 nails has been around forever. 
How can you make it not look like you chipped a nail? Be confidant. For someone who is used to an all 1 color manicure I saw start this trend subtly, paint al 10 nails the same color and then paint your accent nails with glitter. This will make you get used to the idea of an accent nail without calling attention to them.
When you are ready to take the next step paint your accent nail in a color that is 2-3 shades darker or lighter than the other nails, top with glitter if you wish. 
The next step is to paint the accent nails in a complimentary color. Get out your color wheel and pick colors opposite each other.  Think teal and fuchsia, red and green, blue and orange. 
I tell my clients this all the time -it is not a tattoo. Nail art or nail color is a great way to step out of your comfort zone, if only for a week or two so go for it and try an accent nail or two, get some crazy bright color or some glow in the dark neon orange nails with black zebra stripes and glitter. A quick soak in some acetone and you'll be back into your french manicure in no time :-)
~Shannon

Got a question for me? Leave a comment below or send me an e-mail at formysweetdaughter@me.com
Happy Tuesday!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was wondering this very same thing! One of these days I need to try it!

Anonymous said...

Back in the 80's some mermaids, such as myself, used to wear a solid silver pinkie pinky nail that we glued on over our real nail for a night out at the fish tail bar. Has that trend resurfaced or has it died for good?

Cilla said...

Thanks for such great advice!I will try it next time I get my nails done!