Pages

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Interview with Meagan from Brown Pigeon

I am so excited to share with you a wonderful shop I found on etsy.
I was looking to have my logo made into a stamp so I could have it on my boxes, bags, etc.


That is when I found Brown Pigeon.
I sent her an image of my business card and she was able to hand carve me the most beautiful stamp. She even set it on wood which is awesome. On the underside of the box lid is care instructions for the stamp and the box is tied with this pretty ribbon.
The owner and artist behind Brown Pigeon is Meagan and I wanted to share with you my interview with her.




Name: Meagan Lewis

Name of your shop: Brown Pigeon

Link to your shop: brownpigeon.etsy.com

What do you do? I create custom hand-carved rubber stamps. I work with a lot of small business owners, crafters and brides-to-be. I can make a stamp of someone's logo or artwork or I can design something personalized and unique for any event. I also have my own line of stamps that I sell in my Etsy shop and some local stores.

How did you get started? Just after obtaining a printmaking degree and moving back to my home in California, I began to make and sell handmade cards that I printed with my own hand-carved stamps. Soon I began selling at craft shows and people kept asking about the images on the cards. I quickly realized that people were more interested in the stamp images than the cards themselves. I decided to start selling my stamps and taking custom orders and Brown Pigeon just took off! I'm so thankful and enjoying every minute.

How long have you been doing it? Art: Forever. Etsy: about 3 years


What is your favorite thing about your craft? I love that I am making something that someone can use over and over again. I have so much fun working with people and hearing their ideas for a stamp. The entire process is enjoyable for me...from creating the stamp to showing it to the customer and hearing their reaction. I feel so happy to create something that is useful and meaningful.

What is your least favorite thing? Nothing! Ok, waiting in line to ship international orders at the post office isn't that fun. 

What would you change about your life right now if you could? Not much! 

Coffee or Tea? Coffee every morning and sometimes an iced tea at lunch. 


3 things people would be surprised to know about you? People might be surprised that I also love to do graphic design, photography and bookbinding...but there are only so many hours in a day! Oh, and I love to bake. ;)

Any advice for someone just starting a career in crafting? Make customer service a top priority. It is a privilege to make a hobby a business and what makes that happen are your customers. Let them know how much they're appreciated and your business will thrive.

Anything else you would like to share? Let's see...I'm working on a new line of stamps, so check out my Etsy shop often for new designs. And if you have an idea for a stamp or need a custom stamp, let me know. I'd love to hear your ideas!



Thank you so much Meagan for a wonderful experience and a great interview!
I love my stamp and will be back to order from you again because I am starting a second shop called Shannon Chomanczuk Designs.

If you liked this interview please share it with your friends, be sure to check out Meagan's shop and tell her Shannon sent you!

~Shannon

4 comments:

AntiquityTravelers said...

What a great find! thanks for sharing. I've been wanting to make one for my shop. I just sent her a note to see if she'll make one for me! thanks!

Alice said...

Thanks so much for sharing this. Currently I'm trying to grow my business and branch out, and one of my thoughts was a logo stamp. Thanks also for the great interview.

Mellisa said...

Your stamp turned out beautifully! Thanks for sharing your source :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this! I will be visiting as soon as I am done commenting!!!